Sunday, November 2

India -- where you can have your cake... and WEAR it, too!

I will never visit India on my birthday -- not after today. Today the staff invited me to come for the presentation of the monthly birthday cakes… Most offices/teams do something similar – end of month mini-celebrations to commemorate the birthdays of various team members… definitely NOT the place I was expecting a surprise. Lovely cakes. Smiling faces. And then the “event coordinator” (we always know our own kind!) cuts a corner off the cake and approaches the birthday boy. What I thought was going to be a sweet offering to him of his birthday cake completely took me by surprise: she smashed it all over his face! And then the melee began – all three birthday boys had their cakes smeared all over their faces by their teammates! Apparently this was no surprise – it’s LOCAL CUSTOM! Some tried to turn away, but clearly all knew this was part of the deal. It’s painful enough to add another year – but I think these guys experienced some physical pain. I know the moisturizing properties of a smeared-in blueberry cheesecake must be good for the skin, but these guys had to scrub to get that stuff off their faces! Just another day of living, learning, and loving… India.

No comments: